Monday, October 14, 2013

A Redonkulous Day

Mumbai. The previous times I had been here, my ventures out with my cousins mostly have been in private vehicles and not much of public transport. Now that I am here for a year on my own, public transport had to play an important role. Being from Chennai, I have an aversion for autos! I hardly used to use them there (save that one month in Feb 2010 which led to this post). Naturally, here too I avoid them in spite of the meters. But then there was this one day...

The day began at a nominal 6:30 am. The morning rush to get ready with some ad hoc cooking meant I left only by 8 10 am. I had to be in a Santacruz school by 9 am and I stay at Charkop, Kandivali. Had to take an auto to the station if I had any sense. Took one. Reached station by 8 25. Paid around 50. I had the necessary money though I thought I'll be short.

The station is were I had an absolute brain fade to catch a fast train rather than a slow which would take me direct to Santacruz. My reason being, already it was late, I would get something from Andheri. The plan went alright till Jogeshwari, but just past, the train was shifted to the fast line and was halted at a signal. A slow train went past. Then my train ambled to the station. Clock read 8 45. I fought my way out. Ran to the slow train platform to find the train that just came in leave. Screwed! I ran to get an auto just fed up!

The exit I took led me to a one way that went opposite to santacruz side. Wretched luck. I had only 50+ in my pocket (after finding a few hidden notes later and scrambling all coins) and I calculated that if he went round about I'm gonna be short. I ran towards SV road and managed to get an auto. With my eyes pleading with the meter, I reached my school by 9 15 @52 bucks. My directress was chill. Saved!

12 15 I leave. With only 5 bucks going to Santacruz station with no ATMs on the way was pointless. So caught an auto to Bandra, telling autowala that I need to go to an ATM if he is to be paid. He took me to the first ATM on the link road. Just as I was getting down, he braked hard and I banged my knee on the edge. I thought it was alright until I reached the ATM. Inside, as I typed to get my money, I felt a shooting pain on my knee. I touch and feel drops of blood on my off-white pyjama. The ATM on cue beeps saying no 500s only in 1000s. Without thinking I typed a 1000 and got it. The moment I stepped out I realised no autowala is going to give me a change for 1000. Damned!

So I ask him to stop at a chemist, so that I can get something for my knee and get change. The wonderful people there said no change but offered their band-aids for credit! Stunned! I haven't even seen them before. I gave them the 5 bucks I had and got two. But still no change for my 1000. I suggested to the autowala to go to a super market. He had a better idea or so I thought - petrol pump.

So we went to the Bharat Petroleum outlet on link road close to Bandra. Auto had to stop opposite side. I slowly cross the road and ask the first cashier. He says NO. Next cashier said ask someone inside. Then I go further in where a cashier is counting the collections and ask him. He said NO on the face. Flabbergasted!

I literally begged him and told him my auto was waiting and am coming straight from an ATM. He thought hard before giving me ten 100s. I thanked him and got onto the auto. Autowala then explained that petrol pump people have been conned to give change for fake notes, so the hesitation. I got to Bandra without any further hitches reached my institute. Relieved!

No comments: